Project Management Software
Project Management software is a vital tool that will assist you in completing your project under cost and within time. With so much emphasis being placed on project delivery nowadays, using the right project management software is a must especially when leading complex projects with numerous interdependencies.
The 11 Advantages of Project Management Software
Some of the key advantages of project management software are listed below:
- The right project management software can be used with any project management methodologies from managing Six Sigma projects to critical path project management amongst others.
- It can prove to be an effective mechanism for spotting problems or risks early on in the project. The project management software can visually depict the effect of minor updates in the project schedule, weeks down the line. This foresight might becomes difficult when managing IT projects without any project management software.
- It is an extremely valuable tool for project management tracking which can be updated within seconds when you need to make modifications.
- It is very helpful when creating a project plan and then subsequently tracking and controlling it. Project Software also comes in handy to forecast the impact of plan deviation such as contingency risks.
- The project management software can also be used to forecast the optimum amount of resources required over the duration of the project. This is helpful in resource planning not only for the current project but also for subsequent projects should the same resources need to be shared across multiple projects.
- It can help in determining the optimum project management resource allocation so you can plan to finish the work earlier by checking the resource utilization. It also helps in ensuring that the resources are not over or under-utilized.
- You can use the project management software to update the project plan to assess the current status and the likelihood of meeting the project completion deadline.
- The project management software can also help in creating visual charts for comparing the actual and the baseline cost and schedule performance. These charts help in reporting the project status to the key stakeholders. Some common reports that can be generated using typical project management software are: Actual versus Planned expenditure report, Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled report, Budgeted Cost of Work Performed report, Earned Value Analysis etc.
- You can forecast the effect of new changes required to the scope on the overall project schedule and cost performance.
- The project management software also helps in creating a project calendar in which actual work days, non-work periods, and holidays can be planned in advance.
- The project management software can help in early detection of risks to project budget and schedule performance.
After learning about the enormous benefits offered by project management software, any project manager should be tempted to use it on their projects. Let us now learn what the key considerations for selecting the right project management software are.
Project Management Software - Tip
As you will see in this section there are numerous different derivatives of project management software. All promise to help you deliver successful projects within project time and cost
However if you as the project manager are not well versed in the project management basics then no whizzy project software will cover up your personal knowledge gaps.
Sign Up for Our Free
The Fast Track to Project Success eZine
and get The mPME Top 10 Tips
of Successful Project